By Pamela Bacon
Saturday, March 7, 2020 is Precinct Party Caucus Day!
The Logan County Elections Division is not involved in the caucus process. For more specific information, please contact your Republican Party or Democratic Party.
If you are unsure what party you are affiliated with call our office 522-1544 or go to www.govotecolorado.gov prior to Caucus Day to obtain that information along with what precinct caucus you should attend.
Information on where precinct caucuses are located should be directed to the party Chair of that political party.
Political Party Chair People are:
Democratic Chair is Peter Youngers 520-1679
Republican Chair is Ken Meis 522-5843
What is a precinct caucus?
- The 2020 Precinct Party Caucus Day is March 7, 2020
- Republican Precinct Caucus will be held at 10:00 a.m.
- Democratic Precinct Caucus will be held at 2:00 p.m.
- In each even-numbered year, political parties hold their precinct caucus to begin the process of electing candidates to nominate in the up-coming elections.
- Precinct caucuses are meetings of registered electors within a precinct who are members of a particular major political party. The purpose of precinct caucuses is to elect precinct committee persons and delegates to county assemblies and committee officers to organize political activities for the precinct.
- Precinct caucuses are open to the public and held throughout the state.
Who can vote in a precinct caucus?
- A resident of the precinct for at least 22 days;
- A resident affiliated with the caucusing political party for at least 22 days before the precinct caucuses.
- February 14, 2020 – was the last day to affiliate with the Republican or Democratic Party in order to vote in the March 7 party precinct caucus.
- A registered voter no later than 22 days before the caucus.
- February 14, 2020 – was the last day to update your voter registration address to participate in the March 7 party precinct caucus.
- Anyone who turns 18 or becomes a citizen less than 22 days before the party’s caucus may still participate in their party’s caucus. However, you must still be registered and a member of the Democratic or Republican Party to participate. Deadlines don’t apply in these cases!
- In addition, a preregistering who is seventeen years of age on the date of a caucus and who will be eighteen years of age on the date of the next general election (November 3, 2020) may vote at the caucus. Deadlines don’t apply in this case!
Those who would be interested in serving as an election judge should attend their respective party’s caucus and add their name to the judges list.
Party Assemblies and Conventions:
What is a county assembly?
- Precinct caucus delegates gather to select candidates for the state primary election, delegates to the congressional district assemblies and delegates to the state assembly.
- The county assembly is held no later than 25 days after the precinct caucuses.
What is a district assembly?
- The district assembly selects district level delegates to the national convention. Delegates also nominate candidates for Congress, the Colorado General Assembly, the State Board of Education, the Board of Regents and District Attorneys.
- The time and place of the district assembly is determined by the chairperson of the district committee.
What is a state assembly/convention?
- State assembly members nominate candidates for statewide offices for the primary election ballot and delegates for the national convention.
Democratic Party County Assembly will be held Saturday, March 14, 2020 at 2:00 p.m. at the Knights of Columbus Building
Republican Party County Assembly will be held Saturday, March 14, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. at the Sterling Middle School Auditorium.
The Election and Recording Department can be reached at 522-1544 for voter and election questions or recording information. The Motor Vehicle Department can be reached at 522-1158 for license plates/renewals or titling a vehicle. You can also reach our office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org . Like us on Facebook at Logan County Elections/MotorVehicle/Recording!