By Pamela Bacon
Logan County Clerk and Recorder
Know the Facts for Colorado!
What are the penalties for voting or registering to vote if I am ineligible?
- It is unlawful for any person to procure a false voter registration. To do so, is considered a Class 5 Felony, resulting in either a fine of up to $5,000.00, imprisonment in the county jail for up to 18 months, or both.
- See Sections 1-13-203 and 1-13-704.5 of the Colorado Revised Statutes for the full description of the law and corresponding penalties.
Is it illegal to vote twice?
- Yes. Attempting to cast two ballots in an election is a crime.
- Upon discovering that a voter attempts to cast two ballots, the clerk and recorder must refer the matter to the appropriate District Attorney’s office or to the Colorado Attorney General for investigation and prosecution.
- Colorado has a statewide system and if two ballots are returned for the same person ONLY one can be accepted for counting. The statewide system will not allow for two ballots to be accepted for counting.
Is it illegal for voters to show their ballots to others to reveal how they voted?
- Voters can show their ballot to others, if it is not done in furtherance of an election violation—like vote buying.
The Election and Recording Department can be reached at 522-1544 for voter and election questions or recording information. The Motor Vehicle Department can be reached at 522-1158 for license plates/renewals or titling a vehicle. You can also reach our office by email at email@example.com . Like us on Facebook at Logan County Elections/MotorVehicle/Recording