By Pamela Bacon
Logan County Clerk and Recorder
ELECTION ALERTS: Ballots for the June 30, 2020 Primary Election were mailed Monday, June 8, 2020 to all active eligible electors. If you have not received your ballot by June 19, 2020 contact our office at 970-522-1544. June 30, 2020 Primary Election will be conducted as an all Mail Ballot Election. The ballot you receive in the mail is your Official Election Ballot.
UNAFFILIATED VOTERS: Colorado law allows unaffiliated voters to vote in a primary election.
Here is how it works:
1. You will receive two ballots in your packet, one Democratic ballot and one Republican ballot.
2. Choose ONLY ONE of these ballots and fill it out. Discard the ballot you won’t use.
3. Sign your return envelope and return your ONE voted ballot in the return envelope.
Sending in two voted ballots will disqualify all of your votes. Your vote in this election will not affiliate you with a political party.
If you are 17-years-old and will turn 18 by the November 3, 2020 Presidential General Election, you are eligible to vote in a State Primary upon registering to vote.
RETURNING YOUR VOTED BALLOT: Ballots may be voted and returned to the Clerk and Recorder’s Office any time after receiving the ballot in the mail. It is not necessary to wait until Election Day to vote.
*Logan County Clerk and Recorder’s Office Election Department will be open on Saturday, June 27, 2020 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. for ballot drop off, replacement ballots, unaffiliated electors to declare party affiliation and obtain a ballot.
TIPS FOR MAIL BALLOTS:
1. You will receive in the mail your official ballot, secrecy sleeve with instructions and a return envelope.
2. Unaffiliated voters your ballot packet will contain both Democratic and Republican Party ballots. ONLY RETURN ONE!
3. Use a blue or black ink pen that will not bleed through the paper to vote your ballot.
4. To vote for a candidate whose name appears on the ballot, completely fill in the oval to the left of your choice.
5. If you do not want to vote the entire ballot, simply mark your selections and leave the rest blank.
6. After marking your ballot, place the ballot inside the secrecy sleeve that came with your ballot.
7. Place the ballot and the secrecy sleeve in your return envelope addressed to Logan County Clerk and Recorder, 315 Main Street, Suite 3, Sterling, CO 80751.
8. Before sealing the envelope, please sign the signature affidavit located on the back of the envelope. This is required in order for your ballot to be processed. We must compare every signature to make sure that the intended voter was the one who signed the envelope.
· Drop your ballot off at the Logan County Clerk & Recorder’s Office at 315 Main Street, Sterling, CO 80751, located on the first floor, northwest corner of the Courthouse or,
DUE TO COVID-19 WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU:
· Drop your ballot in the 24/7 drop box located in the Courthouse parking lot (Ash Street entrance) east side of the parking area (no postage necessary).
· You may also mail your ballot using the envelope provided but (adequate postage will be required) but do not mail after June 23, 2020 as Postmarks do not count!
C.R.S. 1-13-710 Any voter who votes more than once or, having voted once, offers to vote again shall be punished by a fine of not more than five thousand dollars or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than eighteen months, or both such fine and imprisonment.
C.R.S. 1-13-112 Any person who, by use of force or other means, unduly influences an elector to vote in any particular manner or to refrain from voting, or who falsely makes, alters, forges, or counterfeits any mail ballot before or after it has been cast, or who destroys, defaces, mutilates, or tampers with such a ballot shall be punished by a fine of not more than five thousand dollars, or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than eighteen months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
C.R.S 1-13-704.5 it is a class five felony charge to register to vote or vote in an election for which a person is not legally eligible.
C.R.S 1-13-106 Any person who falsely makes, alters, forges, or counterfeits any ballot before or after it has been cast, or who forges any name of a person as a signer or witness to a petition or nomination paper, or who forges any letter of acceptance, declination, or withdrawal, or who forges the name of a registered elector to a voter’s mail-in or mail ballot commits forgery.
The Logan County Clerk and Recorder will turn over evidence of any election offenses to the District Attorney’s office for investigation and prosecution.
BallotTrax is a free service for Logan County Voters that allows you to track the status of your ballot online, as well as receive messages by text, phone or email when your ballot has been sent to you and received by our Elections Division. Logan County voters may sign up at votelogancounty.ballottrax.net
MOTOR VEHICLE ALERTS:
NON-FACE-TO-FACE OPTIONS FOR CONDUCTING LOGAN MOTOR VEHICLE BUSINESS
Logan County Clerk and Motor Vehicle Offices have been working continuously for our citizens during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
On May 4 we opened to the public for face to face title transactions and other motor vehicle business! With social distancing in place in the hallways and offices.
Because of the social distancing guidelines of 6 feet apart, we can only wait on 3 customers because of space limitations in the office.
With multiple ways to renew plate stickers and a month grace period after the month expiration please use the following options:
Mail payment with plate information to Logan County Clerk & Recorder, 315 Main Street, Suite 3, Sterling, CO 80751
Drop off payment with plate information in our 24/7 Drive Up Drop box – located on the southeast corner of the courthouse parking lot.
Call us 970-522-1158 and do a credit card payment over the phone
Go online at www.mydmv.colorado.gov
Stickers will be mailed! If you are not sure of the paperwork or procedures please call our offices and we can assist you!
The Election and Recording Department can be reached at 522-1544 for voter and election questions or recording information. The Motor Vehicle Department can be reached at 522-1158 for license plates/renewals or titling a vehicle. You can also reach our office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org . Like us on Facebook at Logan County Elections/MotorVehicle/Recording or Twitter @LoganClerkCO